PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shirts, Ties, Epaulettes and Flying Suits.
Old 24th Jun 2002, 14:31
Rod1

OK, I fly a verity of aircraft from aerobatic through gliders to spamcans. I usually wear a flying suit. If this makes me a sad weirdo then so be it.

In the suit are the necessary paraphernalia to break a jammed canopy and thus survive a crash.

To cut my straps if they are jammed and thus survive a crash.

It has a degree of fire resistance, so I may maintain control of a burning aircraft for long enough to survive a crash.

I do not mind lying on the ground under the aircraft to give it a through DI, which helps, avoid having a crash.

I never fly with lose articles, as you never know when you might meet someone coming the other way and end up in an extreme unusual attitude avoiding them.

If I end up in the water, I have a verity of things, which will help me survive the ditching, and the suit is better than jeans for surviving from hypothermia.

It contains a basic tool kit which I have used on many occasions to stick the A/C back together to get home from deserted farm strips in some very remote locations in Scotland.

If I visit a “posh” airfield I take the suit off and leave it in the a/c. I have normal clothes on underneath; I can vanish into the crowd whenever I like!

To me this is just as sensible as practicing stalls and PFL’s. They all make it more likely that I will survive an emergency.

I had better put the suit on quick to avoid the flames

Rod