PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta A119 versus Eurocopter AS350B3
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2009, 21:49
HELISeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss 46 year old with some 4'200 hrs total experience, 80% long lining, one third of them is logging.
I'm current on the Koala with poor 40 hrs experience (made in one month), and some 2'000 (like you too) on the 350 B2/B3.

I'm actually flying a Lama for a small company (http://www.alpin.lift.ch/sergio_albertella.htm) and I had the chance to learn flying the Koala when we experienced an engine trouble during the high season time; the solely Koala operator in our country gave us the Koala to continue our operations.
I flown both the older version A 119 and the newest AW 119 KEnhanced.
http://www.alpinlift.ch/media/image_280709_01_x.htm
http://www.alpinlift.ch/media/image_290709_01_x.htm

The ship is very complicated but over redundant in all technical aspects;
electrical inverters? double!
hydraulic? double!
autopilot? double!
engine? single! (but the best engine you may have installed on an helicopter)

When you have good technical knowledge, this helicopter is for you!
I try to resume both aspects of this ship.(and for instance I'm speaking about the late version AW 119KE)

POSITIVE:
Speed, because it travel really in the yellow power arc @ 130 KIAS (you don't need to dive to reach it, just level off after TO with 1.5 hrs endurance and 6 pax!)
Place, even in the baggage compartement you may fall asleep maybe not alone...
Handling, like the 350 but better; you may compare it with a race horse 2 year old against a similar one at the end of his racing life!
Vortex, settling with power, like the 350 the downwash is far more about that one of the Lama, so you may "clean out" your environment; also with some 1'200 kgs at the hook you may just pull a little bit the stick fwd and the ship is flying again. That's it!
About this I noticed that the new MRH and blades (they are the same like the AGUSTA GRAND) are a newest interpretation of an older concept.

NEGATIVE:
If you're a bubble pilot and you carry an helmet, you don't have chance!
The anti crash seat is good for you health, but you'r seating is too high put your head
outside, even if the right hand pilot place is the the closest possible to the door frame (2cm more and your'e flying!)
Just the pilot task of a preflight check change you in a kind of a freeclimber who must be at the airfield a good half hour before usual!
Nobody know if this model could afford a logging season without troubles; the airframe weighs some 500 kgs() more than a normally equipped B3.
Maintenance is really complicated, because you have a lot of time (I mean days and months) related inspection items.
Italians are artist, but regardless of costs!
Another point which was discovered with fright, is the wrongful positioning of the the long line cargo release, which may be inadvertently activated by you when you want to position the stick and the force trim is on.
Lesson learned: NEVER DO EXTERNAL LOAD WITH FORCE TRIM ON

Abstract:

25% more expensive than an AS 350B3 at the purchase, but better warranty by the manufacturer (especially the first year).
More reliable engine against the Arriel (I'm waiting the SOLOY solution for the B3!)
More thirsty than the B3 (a good 20%, but keep in mind, you have some 100HP more)
Faster, roomier and last but not least:

@SAME CONDITIONS YOU TAKE EVERYTIME 200 KGS MORE THAN A B3 (100 more than a B3+)

So, let me know what you think about, but it is clear that I really enjoyed the Koala.

PS
(After all I like to fly any helicopter)

PPS

I SAID HELICOPTER not such a K-Max or a Robinsons

Cheers Sergio