PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2009, 16:34
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right here is one for you all. A situation that someone wants me to define a solution for. And mods don't worry it's for an old aged pensioner to get an emergency call system working. They only have access to an anal retentive ISP which has the IP address down as a VoIP site and a 3G dongle isn't cutting the mustard. Its based in the UK and to my knowledge completely legal to do.

Situation

A certain box needs to get access to an IP address which is blocked by the ISP.

What I propose is connect said box via a cross over cable to a linux box via the eth0.

Then route that over to the wireless wlan0 which has a vpn connection on it thus bypassing the ISP blocked sites.

The dhcp on the eth0 is easy to take care of with the gateway being defined as the IP address being bound to the eth0 interface.

Now anyone know enough about openvpn on linux so you can force it to only use the wlan0 or will it just try both interfaces and use the one which it can connect to the server on?

after that I presume you would only need to start the routing using ip_forward and add the route in between the 2 networks.

Any comments on my cunning plan?

I know you could just buy a wireless VPN router but this way we should just be able to use an old laptop and a 3 quid cross over cable.