PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris - Butch or Butcher?
Old 10th Dec 2009, 11:16
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Two organisations that didn't act on that belief were the Luftwaffe and the Soviet Air Force, so it wasn't quite a universal belief.
It is quite true that the Soviet contribution to the strategic bombing campaign was minimal, although I believe there were some raids of limited scope early on. The Soviet air force was predominantly a tactical battlefield force, and in this area was undoubtedly very effective. What is also clear is that the post-war attitude of the USSR was that the defeat of Germany was an inevitability with or without the help of the other allies. Indeed as I discovered when studying in Russia, the British and American contribution to the defeat of Germany is all but ignored in teaching the history of the war, a situation which I understand has changed little in recent years.

In fact when the Red Army crossed into Germany they were fighting a country whose industrial capability and air power had been all but devasted thanks entirely to the efforts and sacrifices of RAF Bomber Command and the US Eight Army Air Force, something that the Soviets were always unwilling to acknowledge. Certainly many thousands of civilians had lost their lives in this process, but as Blacksheep points out, a high proportion of those civilians were part of that industrial capability.