PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer Limitations
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2009, 10:52
Takeoff53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- operating as Pilot Flying in Low Vis conditions (take-off/approach/landing)?
Cat I and Nonprecision: F/O flying and landing, could be also a monitored approach where F/O flies and Capt lands
Cat II: F/O flying, Capt lands if conditiones are met at minimum, otherwise if Capt is NOT calling my controls, the F/O executes the Goaround
Cat III: Capt only (Aircraft is equipped with HUGS on left side only, Cat III APPR are handflown with HUGS, no autoland)

- calling for and executing a Rejected Take-off?
Takeoff is always performed by PF but thrust-levers handled only by the Capt. F/O shall call out any abnormal situation, Capt decision. If the takeoff has to be aborted, this is an automated handoff to the Capt

- landing/take-off in adverse weather conditions, eg. x-wind/contaminated
runways/wind shear/etc?
F/O may fly the whole envelope of the A/C limitation, no restrictions, however Capt decision as always.
(As lowtime and young F/O I flew sometimes with great Captains who liked to hand over the A/C to me and let me fly something a bit more challenging approaches, helping out if needed or giving positive verbal inputs. Thats the way to become Capt later on and it's the same what I liked to do with younger F/O's to get them the most out of every flight. The best boost of convidence for any young F/O was the day I left the cockpit for a short trip to the restroom. Always big grin when I came back....)

- challenging/demanding approaches like circling approaches/Cat C airfields?
Some airports restricted to be flown by Capt. Otherwise many F/O's fly circlings just perfect and anybody else will get better by doing it.

- taxiing the aircraft?
Tiller only on Capt side only, however as the A/C can be steered to a certain angle by the pedals, the F/O CAN technically taxi on a somehow straight taxiway (not an official procedure but as well not forbidden....)

- signing the Tech log?
PF for the next leg does the walk around, checks the logs, makes entries but must be signed by Capt.