PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation does it lead to complacency?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2009, 10:22
poss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that pilots are getting complacent with their skills, infact quite the opposite, I hear more and more go on about how they wish they got more hands on time because they feel they are getting rusty. It's aimed more at the aircraft been able to carry out all the tasks and the pilots just letting it get on with what it's doing without monitoring what exactly is going on.
I certainly agree that when you are manually flying, navigating etc, you are more in the loop because you are constantly calculating track errors, times and making the appropriate corrections. With the intergration of the almighty FMS we don't need to do any of that, push a button and go... oh look we've arrived. Of course it's no way as simple as that but compared to star navigation etc it is a lot simpler.
I think in the past few months there has been a dramatic increase in awareness when it comes to automated air travel, pilots have seen what mistakes can happen by making an input error on the FMS. Airlines are forever striving to get their aircraft to their destinations on time, with as little cost as possible, which is why I'm not sure what can be done on the situation.... I doubt they will allow their pilots to hand fly as much as is probably necessary to keep their skills upto scratch.