PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple tower operations
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2002, 10:12
scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple tower operations

All--

Could anyone help me with these questions about multiple air traffic control towers or perhaps forward them to someone you know (tower controller/air traffic manager) who is able to help me with these questions?

We, an Aerospace Laboratory, have been asked for Human Factors advice on how to use a possible second ATC tower for an international airport.

As a first step we're looking at how other airports use or used multiple towers. Therefore I have some general questions to anyone working as a tower controller/air traffic manager at an airport with more than one control tower:

1) Why does your airport have two control towers? Since when?

2) How is the division of responsibilities between the towers? How is the division for handling ground operations/runways/airspaces?

3) How are the towers coordinating the taxiways and handovers? Do they all see the same ground radar picture with/without labels? Do you have a document with the operational concept that you can share with us?

4) Which risks of having two towers have been identified and how were they handled?

5) Are there any (unforeseen?) human factors issues with this special type of operations that we should be aware of?

6) Any other "do's and don'ts" when using multiple towers?

We are trying to contact airports that we know use multiple towers. So far we've found:
- DFW, TX USA
- OAK, CA USA
- LAX, CA USA (used to have two towers once, right?)
- Paris Charles de Gaulle, France
- Bruxelles, Belgium

Somebody has had contact with Bruxelles already and we are in contact with DFW but we would really appreciate any help to get in contact with the ATC of the other airports in the list (name, e-mail, phone).

Do you know of any other international airports that use or used multiple towers besides these?

Thanks very much in advance,
Jacco