PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 15:45
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If WW insists on putting all his eggs in an already bursting basket then expect it to fail. Plenty of other baskets around with runway/slots available.
You MUST be aware that with BA's legacy cost base they had NO hope of making money outside Heathrow. It was a necessity of survival that BA got out of regional flying. They had been bleeding money for years charging three figure sums for short flights in old aircraft. Exactly how that is supposed to win against easyJet or Ryanair I would be delighted to hear.

Legacy flying outside London is mainly spoke to hub as you well know. KLM, Lufthansa and Air France serve their hubs from the regions, as do BA. Point to point is a loco operation these days. Your sour grapes belong to another age.

agree that all capacity at existing airports be used and then look at expanding other airports , do you think the transport infrstructure could handle more at LHR
Done strategically and properly yes. It is our only hub airport, it plugs the UK into the world. Already a lot of UK traffic is forced to fly via AMS / CDG / FRA / DXB. A HELL of a lot more buinesses in London rely on Heathrow than comparably in the regions. My last two employers used it extensively, it was WHY THEY WERE UK BASED. I don't mind if they never build another inch of tarmac at Stansted, Luton or Gatwick, the pressing need has been for a runway three at Heathrow sine it was closed to new traffic in 1977. The Tories outside the Enviro-Mentalists know this but they need the West London seats so they're peddling an incoherent strategy involving the most expensive railway line in history top connect to Heathrow and Scotland...to encourage more flying from Heathrow.

I live nearby. Heathrow is not some urban paradise about to have the bulldozers destroy green fields. Stansted is. The Thames Estuary is a nature reserve for God's sake. There seems little reality in this policy. The only reason that it has garnered support outside the green lobby is that West London is home to many wealthy influential poeple who have discovered the real meaning of NIMBY. More flightsn in Essex is one thing but over my house in Fulham? I don't think so old boy!
As to the guy below, classic northern chip on your shoulder. You've got more flights to more places than BA ever did and yet you still chuckle at the real threat to thousands of UK based workers? Utterly bigoted and pathetic.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 9th Dec 2009 at 15:58.