PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF tactical nuclear missions
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 11:15
StuartP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would anyone want to read about this?
Speaking as someone with vivid memories of sitting in a classroom as a 13 year old, all bricking ourselves watching 'Threads' in an English lesson, I'd be interested.

From the human interest point of view (rather than the 'Terrorism 101 - How to launch a nuclear strike' point of view) it's a period about which the general public still knows or understands very little. The most we were ever told was how you had all trounced SAC again at Red Flag or wherever. We could more or less work out why you were all practicing flying at zero feet, but it would still be interesting to read people's first hand accounts of, for example, what it was like to be on 'Q'.

There's a thread on here somewhere (I think it's on here anyway) where someone describes an excercise in which a convoy of 4 tonners was sent westwards to simulate families etc being evacuated from one of the RAFG airfields, and the panic it caused in the German population. Eventually we'll all be able to go to Kew or the IWM and read the official reports for ourselves but the small details like that get forgotten and need recording while you're all still here and compos mentis enough to write them down. I fully appreciate the difficulties caused by the sensitivity of some of the information you were working with though.

Last edited by StuartP; 9th Dec 2009 at 14:39.