PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 08:19
CheekyVisual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Baby losing an a/c (and a load of jobs!) in CWL. Something was going to have to give and the meds make the money the domestics lose. If you were told by someone make money in a year or your gone you would have to look at things dispationately too. I know baby don't want to cut back but they have no choice. The facts as always are ALC, AGP, FAO, etc.. make money they also have a contract with TCX for med routes that has to be honoured and might provide the profit to keep the company afloat.

You can't make 2 aircraft do the work of three. As there is little or no business traffic anyway moving EDI to one a day for a few months won't make a big difference in the long term. Keeping the early and late might have kept the odd business bod off Fly Be but in my experience and from what I've been told by all sorts of people in the industry is that business travel bookings have collapsed to virtually nothing.

In any case the Q400 is a far more economic aircraft for domestics and this should secure the Fly Be routes. Don't expect any further expansion by Fly Be though times are still too tough for airlines to start taking chances.

It is not, and never has been, bmi baby holding CWL back. They are a weak company and could be ousted from CWL by a small breath of wind. The fact no one is doing so shows the true economic postion of CWL at present. It will change but the country needs to get out of the mess Gordon Brown has got us into before CWL is going to see any expansion of airlines or routes. Blaming one airline for CWL's lack of success is a bit like blaming it all on the ref for not giving you a penalty when you lost 9-0 !

Last edited by CheekyVisual; 9th Dec 2009 at 08:35.