PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 07:55
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but the Boeing 737-900s are brandnew and Boeing is responsible for the maintenance in the first years of operation,as far as I know, so they should be in pretty good condition!
They've banged a couple of them... But then, that's nothing new.
And just a few weeks ago... several pilots got called for a "meeting" at one of the hangout places here... where the company "asked for help" to fly in December because the annuals of those pilots have run out... Again, nothing new.
But yes... don't even touch their MD80s unless you fancy flying by QRH Abnormals a lot of the times! (one colleague who quit cited his reason as "when you know the QRH off the top of your head, you know it's time to move on to something else!")

And their audit results to go to Australia? Wonder why it's rejected at least 2x on safety grounds... BUT, things may have changed in as little as a year

the average indionesian salary is about USD 50 a month!
Let me be a bit pedantic... I pay my maid more than that! That's her pay after meals which gets covered. Average salary of $50 a month in Jakarta isn't real mate... check their allowances etc... it'll net out about $100 a month in most cases.

20 Mio IDR basic + 60,000 per hour? Is that for F/O or Cpt? If for F/O, it's OK, if it's for Cpt... it's a total rip off! Even for the locals ! (Oh hang on, that's their F/O pay right?)

F/O for 26mio does make sense though, plus 60k an hr...

If contract has to be finished due to bad behaviour of pilot, a penalty of 10.000 USD has to be paid
Bad behaviour, my several court testimonies, including refusing to fly unairworthy aircraft. The mentality is, "if someone else wants to fly it and you don't, you're the bad guy"... mind U, they probably only do it to the locals. If they dare do that to the expats, they'd be fools.

Anyone fancy US$3000 basic plus US$70 an hour in Indonesia? There's some pressure for the company to let expats fly in that company... Let's hope it happens.

My view on Lion seems rather dismal/depressing on the safety aspect... but, there are those in the company working very hard to improve it... Let's hope they win !

But, whatever it is, welcome to Indonesia to those joining whichever airline for whichever pay... Enjoy it... and let's have a beer sometime.

Oceanfly, Now, why am I not surprised to read that? Sometimes I think no one knows anything around here