PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 23:43
generalspecific

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its new and shiny but its a pig to start...

I know enginering on the internet can be a bit like describing art on the radio, but here goes..

We have a 44 raven 2 which for various reasons that i won't bother you with has less then 10 hours on the clock (ie brand new to us from Robinson) but sat on the ground inhibited for a year before being put into service.

Now it flies well but it is a PIG to start. Lest there is a technique acccusation, our pilots are well versed in starting the injected lycoming, but this one is a killer. 3 batteries in 5 starts..

There seems no ryme or reason to what makes it go, by the book primes, over primes and wait 30 seconds, starting with some throttle and snapping shut on start... it just seems to fire eventually when it fancies (which is not that much).

If someone has a cast iron magic technique for starting or can think of a reason why it should be such a pig, then PLEASE !

I know the engine will be tight and the tight belts driving the rotor on start don't help either, but this is the hardest one i've ever tried.. and, like women and beers, i've tried a few....