PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 8th Dec 2009, 22:22
tu154

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, scientists are not priests, many are in the employ of various organisations with entrenched views on certain subjects, and are as predisposed as the rest of the general population to political views/theories etc. (Mind you, even priests are not infallible these days).

I'm not a convert on the whole climate change as a result of human activity theory. I'll give you that the temperature is warming, I'll give you that sea levels are rising, but I'm not convinced that it's as a result of human activity, and I'm not convinced that it's provable at the minute!! I also resent the propaganda campaign that lines me up with the right wing Fox infotainment channel for having this view. The case has not been made that global warming is as a result of human activity, as far as I'm concerned (and I'm a fairly lefty sort of bloke).

What we appear to have now, is a sort of eco religion belief thing going on, maybe replacing the demise in traditional religions? A belief has been postulated, the good and righteous have rowed in behind it, so it must be true. The evil henchmen of the world oppose it (Hannity and other clowns) so reinforcing the position of the good and right.

That being said, the resources we have available are finite and I do believe conservation of these resources is the way to go, including reducing pollutants, because it's 'the right thing to do'. Pissing away everything you have is not a prudent way to manage anything, even if you believe you have unlimited reserves and they are yours to do with as you please.

As an aside, to my shame, in Ireland we have 'The Greens' in Government, and anyone in an different country I would caution you against voting for them in your next election. In a country like Ireland, we have an extremely limited impact on the global climate, however once we had this lot in power, they were intent on implementing various vanity policies to demonstrate how big their weenies were in the green world. There is no point in crippling your own economy and imposing punitive 'carbon' taxes on your own population, when we are a minor player in the global pollution stakes and the action is pointless other than causing hardship to your population (and bigging yourself up in the green world, yo!).

In the meantime, I will continue to drive my diesel car (more economical, easier to recycle and containing less precious metals than a Prius), recycle my various household bits and bobs, compost my food waste etc...