PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 21:38
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Spanish - the 66 was supposed to be the minimum number required to allow for 'rest tours' and to keep a steady trickle of SAR experience going to SH. But no-one is going to be sent on rest tours (from SH anyway, the junglies might do it though) because of the cost of training guys onto a new aircraft type just for 3 years and then retraining them will be prohibitive - and that's just the pilots, the winchmen with all their paramedics hoops to jump through would be even less likely. Those 66 will also be spending a lot of time in the Falklands - I'm off there again at xmas - since the SARH contract doesn't seem to include that bit any more.

The lack of night capability in Cyprus of 84 Sqn and the miniscule number of SAROPs the Cypriots let them do means that capability could well be sh*tcanned to save more cash so they won't need SAR crews either. SAR experience is not really a requirement on SH, especially given their roles and theatres over the last few years.

Few guys and girls will be sent as first tourists to SAR because it will be a major career foul so the only people left to populate those 66 posts will be the more mature variety and those looking to get their licences and jump ship.

Not quite sure why there is such bitterness about boarding school allowance - it is and always has been a retention measure and works very well across all 3 services, a multitude of ranks and far more non-aviators than aviators.

If I can stay in, fly the new SAR aircraft and live somewhere decent then I will - if not, I will have to jump ship and see if my professional credentials are good enough to get me a job with the company (whoever wins).

Not quite sure how taking many years of SAR operational and instructional experience to civvy street is being a poacher turned gamekeeper - that was 20 years ago when I became a QHI