PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government to sell off their share in NATS?
Old 8th Dec 2009, 17:05
LostThePicture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and your colleagues are too stupid to think for themselves are they?
Frankly speaking, yes. The pensions and pay ballots were highly controversial issues within the company and the union membership relied on Prospect to direct them how to respond, particularly in the case of pensions which many - even intelligent - people do not necessarily fully understand. In each case this year the advice given by the union has been poor, to say the least, but that didn't stop the majority from taking that advice.

The likely view of the workforce is to be against privatisation; Mr Graham's statement appears at this stage to be aligned with this. If the majority of the workforce once again takes union advice, then you guys have nothing to worry about, do you? Apathy will not even come into the equation. But my view is that Mr Graham and his team have let us down in the past, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened again.

We weren't betrayed on pensions or pay. We were presented with cases that every single highly paid and supposedly intelligent member was allowed to vote on. It's called democracy and if 30% can't be bothered to vote then we deserve to reap the rewards of such apathy.
I stand by my statement that it's not Prospect's fault if members don't vote, as going by your logic then everyone would have voted yes because that's what the union advised them to do.
I've made my views clear on whether I think Prospect were at fault / betrayed us / whatever. But I'll say it again - Apathy did not swing the vote one way or the other. People who didn't vote might not have been bothered, or maybe, given the persuasive arguments on both sides of the fence, they just wished to abstain. Either way, the net difference to the result would have been ZERO. Do you want me to draw you a graph?

If I heard correctly after the recent conference, there was no one prepared to stand against the present people that you so roundly condemn.
I'm a NATS ATCO and I heard nothing of this conference. And no, I'm not interested in participating myself. But I can recognise a conflict of interest when I see one, and as a member of the union I think I'm entitled to something better than the current regime.

LTP