PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security - where's the consistency
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 15:59
k3lvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security - where's the consistency

Mods - feel free to move this if there's a more relevant post but most appear to be airport specific.

For the last few weeks I've been travelling MAN-GVA via LHR T5 with BA. Outbound go through security in MAN T3 then just through outbound connections in T5 with no further checks - couldn't be simpler. Return with security in GVA, security again in T5 then back to MAN. IMHO unnecessary given both flights are BA and they're happy to accept me from GVA but not without a secondary search at LHR.

Imagine my surprise today when I do the same outbound route from MAN via LGW with BA expecting flight connections to be a formality - how wrong could I be ? 20 mins to get through with boarding cards taken away to a back office for checking (not just mine but all in the queue) then a full search and the usual bark of 'shoes off'.

Presumably this is just another rant but are the DFT guidelines that open to interpretation that each airport decides who & when they search.

I read with interest yesterday the release from LGW's new owners and how they're sending in a task force - IMHO it can't come soon enough - they've a real opportunity to steal a march on their rivals and introduce a face of humanity.