PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - dyscalculia and Students
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 15:16
Pugilistic Animus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
before college math was my biggest stuggle,..I've found that sometimes when folks think they are 'bad at math' they are not;

they are bad at abstact meaningless calculation,...I found even 'advanced' math easy once I started taking chemistry and physics classes [not to mention many wonderful teachers for Calculus and Diff eq etc. and I did all my homework because I had to] classes I'd never thought I'd ever take now I have three degrees,...the one thing about the physical sciences that helped is I was no longer finding some 'x' in some weird plane it became what pressure?, what velocity,...these things have a tangilble meaning to me.

after a while it became possible after much struggle to even begin to read math stories as a regular paragraph,...maybe you are not bad at math at all maybe it's the mindless abstraction of pure math,...and let me tell you calculus and trig/analytical geometry are the easiests of math,...but geometry algebra and statistics are actually the worst branches,...

lastly,..this statement helped me to just barely pass high school math,..."there are only 4 things that you can do in math: add, subtract, multiply and divide" misses Dawson and 'Joycee'

PA