PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Townsville Refueller Correct! REX Wins
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 13:27
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Now now Complete. 3 DEC's is a slight exageration. REX do not employ DEC's as such. The Letter Of Agreement for the townsville base allowed REX to employ (on a temporary basis) a limited number of Pelair (ex Macair Captains) to fill whatever position wasn't taken up by the current REX captains. 3 Command positions were available, of which current REX captains took 2, and one "DEC" from the aforementioned airline filled spot number 3.

What's interesting however is if the company plans to use the LOA, after all it is for the Townsville base, to employ more "DEC's" to crew these new services? It will of course depend on whether any more serving REX captains take up the offer. As only 2 put their hands up last time, I think it's safe to bet that few, if any, will be forthcoming this time. At least that's probably what the redundant ex Macair captains would be hopeing.

Now don't get me wrong, The retrenched Macair guys have done it tough. I've been there (more than once!), But be carefull. REX will use the LOA to crew these services if necessary, and they will use it just as quickly to throw you back onto the scrapheap. I was never happy with the LOA, and I told the REXPC that. If REX needed experienced pilots for their Townsville ops, then they should have offered employment to these guys directly into REX. Offer the base as part of the upgrade process, and before too long the experienced guys will leapfrog back into the LHS. Believe me, REX has been gutted of so much experience over the last 2 years, upgradeable F/O's are very thin on the ground!

But REX are hedging their bets. And the FEDs and the REXPC allowed them to do it! The REX "DEC's" have a finite shelf life. charming!

AS for the TL - all stops - ISA Jamair, I had to read it twice myself. It's been a few years since I've been up that way, but Jesus! Julia creek, Hughenden! In a SAAB!! I dunno man, would have to be some pretty decent subsidies on that run. You won't get many Punters jumping on the milkrun for TL - Isa and visa versa. They'll go direct with QLink. I know I would.

Anyway, it'll probably be a moot point if, sorry, when REX lose more "experienced" drivers. They're flat out crewing their existing services as it is. Interesting times ahead.