PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 8th Dec 2009, 13:13
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just stuck my head back in after a few weeks and find myself amused and unsurprised to read the same old people still banging on about the same old stuff. I often feel the urge challenge some of the erroneous statements on here but increasingly feel that any comment on Ryr threads is utterly futile in the face of such divided opinion.

EK4457,

I also think you are way too dissmissive about the benefits of having a TR provided by the company. No risk (an airline, to my knowledge, has never charged for a failed TR), no inital outlay, far more tax efficient, the airline will try to get the best price for training and not overcharge (ahem).

You also have a guaranteed salary, pension, sickness...... I mean the list goes on
That's all wonderful. Really. I would have jumped at an opportunity like that. Now tell me where I can find such a scheme. Go on, I'm waiting.

The industry has changed, and from the point of view of pilots, not for the better. This is an unfortunate fact of life. Ryanair-type policies are more a symptom of the state of the industry, not the cause. The Beaks of this world can pontificate all they like about the way things SHOULD be, and the old-hands can reminisce about their T&Cs back in the day. Some of us, though, have to make the best of the situation as it stands now, and to be quite blunt about it, doing my bit to resist the decline in T&Cs in the airline industry is f--k all use if I'm unemployed or working in Starbucks with 1000hrs of professional flying under my belt. This is the ugly side of a free market economy and there's virtually nothing you can do to change it. Tough times for sure, but I didn't break the global aviation industry - it was already broken.