PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF tactical nuclear missions
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 07:07
ThomasJW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF tactical nuclear missions

I am a military historian and I am performing some research regarding the RAF's tactical nuclear mission during the Cold War.

I am principally interested in the RAF's mission to deploy tactical nuclear weapons against european Soviet and Warsaw Pact targets in the event of a major confrontation between WARPAC and NATO forces.

I am keen to shed some light on the RAF's role in this regard. Much work has already been performed looking at the role of the V-bombers, although relatively little seems to have been done looking at the role of the Tornadoes and the WE177s for example, in addition to the other aircraft and weapons involved in this mission.

I would be very pleased to hear from any air and ground crew, or planning staff, who were involved in this mission and are keen to share their experiences.

I realise that much of the history surrounding this mission may still be classified, but any information which can be shared in the public domain would be very gratefully received.

Credentials
I know that some of you asked for some more details about my background. I have worked as a military historian and defence analyst for over ten years. I've published four books (details on two of them can be found here: Amazon.com: Thomas Withington: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle) I've also been a contributor to the RAF Defence Recognition Journal, I've worked for DSTL in the past as a historian and published articles for several publications including the RAF Air Power Review. My interest in this subject is with a view to getting a journal article or perhaps a longer work written on this subject. Have a good day!