PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's in your first aid kit?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 04:36
SayItIsntSo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Aid is the key!

Our first aid kit’s contents are determined by the regulator. Probably a committee of civil servants and doctors from the 1950’s who never saw a helicopter cabin or ever had the opportunity to visit a remote helicopter operating area and consequently had no idea where we were going to be able to store the kit that they prescribed nor what we really needed. So I think it is what we carry in our survival kit to supplement the first aid kit that I reckon is really pertinent.

In remote areas it can still take up to 6-days to be rescued, after that I reckon you better have good walking shoes on, rather than uniform business shoes, because they will probably stop looking for you about then.

My great fear is burns, so I favour an emphasis on burn treatment. I had a great friend who crashed in the jungle and was badly burned. He spent 6 days stumbling around the undergrowth before he died. A search party found him on day 7. Not the way anyone should die; it still makes me shiver when I think about it.

Water purification tablets and anti-diarrhoea medication are also a favourite of mine. It would be a shame to get away unscathed from your arrival back on earth and then having a loose bowel until you are rescued through drinking ‘dirty water’. It is the pits with a fully functioning toilet available but in the wild and using leaves...not fun at all.

For some of us an adequate supply of sun-block and ‘mossie’ repellent may also help keep the mind intact.

A good ELT will make a difference but you need to make sure it will work. Twice I have needed one, The first time it was defective and only had a range of half a mile, second time I was in a place where the local authority didn’t permit their use arguing that spurious transmission were more trouble than they were worth. So it is not the panacea that we have been trained to believe it is.

There is nothing like being relatively self-sufficient if you want to survive without too much pain.