PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer Limitations
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2009, 21:15
Love_joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a First Officer in your airline (feel free to state the airline) what are the
limitations on;

- operating as Pilot Flying in Low Vis conditions (take-off/approach/landing)?

As an FO I can fly down to CAT I minima, and take-off with 400m RVR. Capt only landing for CAT II/III, and take-off down to 125m RVR.

- calling for and executing a Rejected Take-off?
As handling pilot, I can call AND action the stop for anything up to 80kts, after 80kts, only major malfunctions or 'red' warnings - anything else and I have to query the capt for a decision. The stopping action is still mine. Once <60kts, control goes to the capt to turn us into wind.

landing/take-off in adverse weather conditions, eg. x-wind/contaminated
runways/wind shear/etc?

As a new FO on type (first six months) we operate with 'half limits', head, tail and x-wind. After this restriction is lifted we operate to aircraft limits, as do the capt's. Contaminated runways are capt only (and best avoided!). Windshear is a compulsory go around, for either pilot.

- challenging/demanding approaches like circling approaches/Cat C airfields?
Circling approaches are not terribly demanding. We tend to select PF for the leg based on which side of the flight deck you need to fly the 'visual' finals from.
CAT C, or especially demanding approaches are captain only landings - however, we have provisions for a monitored approach in the SOP's and this tends to be the norm for these so; FO flies the approach, Capt takes control for landing OR decides on a go-around which is then flown by FO.

- taxiing the aircraft?
Capt only with my airline, we only have a single tiller on the capt side.

- signing the Tech log?
Capt only, although can be completed by FO.