PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirNAV VFR - Sentient Software - Recent Experience Anyone ?
Old 7th Dec 2009, 19:06
PlankBlender

sure, freshy, been doing it for more than a year, 300+ in the air with it, wouldn't go without it despite the Garmin 530 in the panel..

Runs on a Fujitsu P1620 tablet (Windows7 Ultimate), connected to a Bluetooth GPS unit, because of limited cabin/panel space I've modified a standard knee pad with velcro so that the Fujitsu sits on my right leg. I use the tablet as my main computer, with a dual processor and enough RAM it's well capable.

The AirNav moving map works a treat, I can see my location on the charts, especially useful for VFR position reports in unfamiliar airspace as you just report the landmarks from the chart rather than having to visually identify them, and also super handy to scoot around air space boundaries (with the proper buffer of course).

If there is one disadvantage to the (much dearer and much less versatile) solid state super bright display computers, it's the display that is hard to read in direct sunlight. Cause the tablet sits on my knee this isn't a problem most of the time, there's also the possibility to make a cheap and effective glare shield that attaches to the knee pad; I've rather invested in a pair of Rosen sun visors that are a godsend for so many other reasons and if I really need it I just position the Rosen to give me shade on the tablet..

Bonus with the tablet is that you just connect the NextG mobile and get up to date weather, radar and satellite pics, flight planning information, and of course pprune (almost) everywhere.

Vibration/shock isn't an issue with the Fujitsu as it has a built-in shock sensor that lifts the hard drive head very quickly in case of detected vibration, and this works at 'lightie' altitude too.

Works as a backup too, a standard 12V car charger keeps the battery charged, and even with the screen fully bright I can get an hour emergency GPS use out of it (and the Bluetooth GPS has a solar panel).

After reading Clinton's post below, I should add that the touch screen on the Fujitsu (9" screen) isn't hard to work, I usually just use the pencil that I make my flight notes with to tap around, hasn't done any harm yet, can even operate with the fingernail. Most functions you need in flight are on big buttons anyway and the scrolling is done just by dragging the map, too easy!

I actually dread going to JeppView now (moving to Europe), much much dearer for the same functionality and much less user friendly.. In my view there isn't anything better around in Oz than AirNav. Just my considered opinion. And I never worked for or with them, have no affiliation or other connection with Sentient.

Last edited by PlankBlender; 7th Dec 2009 at 20:11. Reason: additions after reading Clinton's post