PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 19:37
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin,

You make you viewpoint very clear, obviously a little dissappointed in the Election Results.

I see you have resorted to the old;
”don’t think of what BALPA can do for you, but what you can do for BALPA”. I agree with the sentiment this expresses but is insufficient as an arguement every time a member expresses discontent with the union. Although it sounds like a logical arguement, it fails in it's basic premise by ignoring the fact that we are doing our bit, simply by using our VOTE to elect those able and dedicated Reps who have volunteered to represent our viewpoints. That is why we pay 1% and have a structural organisation, including HQ, in the first place, so we don't stumble around BALPA as an aimless group of 10,000 individuals. Gov't works in the same way....we elect those who we hope will make the necessary decisions for the benefit of society. We don't all have to be Prime Minister's just so society can get it's act together. In fact the more of us who did, the worst the results would be.

The majority of members felt a change was necessary in the way BALPA HQ supported the CC's. They felt that as GS over the past 10years the end result on T&C's of pilots has been degraded and as ultimate head of our union surely CD had to take some responsibility for this as our full-time Guru? We as members have "done what we can do for BALPA" and that has started by voting for a new GS. Whether myth or a symptom of the late 90's, we know our T&C's have detriorated and as our reps are Part-time as you suggest, then surely it is the professional guidance that they were getting that was insufficient. At the very least we felt it important enough that we should have been properly informed(maybe by a letter from MG without being prompted first by concerned members)that the position of head of our 10,000 strong union was up for re-election, and that a fair and non-discriminatory Election process would be carried out if necessary. Big Oversight !!!

Your comment about flagging out, although persuasive is also flawed. Buying an imported car is legal if not nice, flagging out longterm is not legal so your arguement doesn't hold water. If you are in BALPA(NEC perhaps) then I would expect anyone in that sort of position to realise the difference of legalities between the two. If not then is there any wonder why flagging out exists to the extent it does. If MG has done a great job in this area then I would like to thank him personally. Good or not, it is irrelevant to the fact he overstepped himself in the recent elections. His actions were unrepentant and unapologetic despite being thinly legal(according to whose lawyers?)and certainly not Nice. I can only suppose which of his actions are forefront in members minds the next time his position is up for re-election. Another victim of the modern world I hazard to guess.

I must also say that I resent your comment "You need someone who, when the part timers are not around ". This smacks of the sort of arrogance that got the members upset about our union HQ in the first place. Our dedicated Part-time and unpaid BALPA reps also carry out a Full-Time flying job. If anyone should be questioned about being part-time it should be CD who we paid handsomely yet still found time, to our recent amazement, to sit 1.5 days/week on the Competition-Commission.

In fact most of your post has hints of HQ/NEC arrogance throughout. You seem to think that you know best for us and that we should sit back, pay our money and take your word for it yet contradictorily you spout "ask what you can do for BALPA" responses. You act as if BALPA is the father-figure for us poor stupid adolescents who don't know better. This would be all the more acceptable or believeable if BALPA had been delivering consistently for the past 10years. As this is far from the case, perhaps you don't know whats best for us. Perhaps in your arrogance you have gotten side-tracked or comfortable in your positions so that you feel less likely to stick your head above the parapet. Perhaps a change of viewpoint is needed. Perhaps we're willing to get a little mud on our faces to acheive what we think we deserve. At the very least you've failed to understand what it is that we do want.

As for the appointment of the new GS. I am more than happy for JF to put the candidates to the general members for election. If we would have let the CC's elect the GS this time around CD would have got in with a resounding victory. But would this have really been a better judge of what the general members wanted..... at 2-1 against, I would say not. What reassurance can you give me that the same error of judgement would not occur at the NEC level ? You are the one telling us to stand up and take an active part in BALPA. Alright then, so why do you think it beyond us to participate in the GS appointment ?

You are right that the world is changing. If CD was the best man for the job we will never know it. He did fail however in not sufficiently keeping in touch with the desires of those under his remit. BALPA at the highest levels need to realise the importance of Communication in todays world and this has been it's wake-up call. We never used to have mobiles, e-mails, forums, Internet. It can be used as a very powerful and effective tool if used correctly, ignore it and the ease of Communication it provides, at your own peril. Used effectively and it should send shivers down the executives of any comany with an established union. The world is no longer FLAT. There is no excuse or mercy for losing touch with the people whose careers you have agreed to protect and advance. The days of "daddy knows best" is finished as BALPA emerges from its adolesence. I hope we have learned our lesson and are calculating how best to navigate this new circular world of Communication.

PS: Has your psychologist helped you figure out what my alias might represent ? Heres a hint the "rage" part does not mean contemptment with the present state of affairs.

Last edited by airrage; 23rd Jun 2002 at 20:32.