PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2009, 12:35
Non-PC Plod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thankfully, in the service of the public there is the expectation that you will be equipped to a standard that gives you a good expectation of completing the job required at a minimum level of risk to yourself.

Yes, you could have a simple single-engined aircraft, which might do the job fine 99% of the time....but if you use that argument, you could use a Daewoo Matiz patrol car on the motorway, and you could use cardboard body armour in Afghanistan, and you could buy 1000 Cessna 150s instead of a squadron of Eurofighters.

The thing is, if you want to employ people with the expectation that they will be flexible enough to take on difficult and highly unpredictable tasks, the public has to make their part of the bargain - that they will give the public servants whether that be police, military, medical staff or whoever the right tools for the job.

In the past I've spent lots of time in the hover at night over (Hostile) built up areas in a single-engined aircraft. I knew then that if something went wrong it was a 90% probability that I would be toast. I wouldnt do it again, 'cos its not big or clever!