PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 7th Dec 2009, 11:50
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As always everyone is more than happy to change the subject. And if there isn't an opportunity to change the subject then you create one by having a go at TheBeak.
Didums, feeling a bit persecuted? It isn't nice is it? I'll tell you what Beak, I don't see it as subject change. I'm bringing a debate to the table in order to expand upon the rationale of this topic. When you started talking about cheaters and que jumpers, bypassing systems and hierarchies, replacing experience with limited experience you landed yourself right in it. Of course it suits your arguement when you want to apply this to the Ryanair cadet, however you are happy to ignore it when it is applied to the route that you embarked upon.

You got your foot into the door of XL (I am assuming this is who it was) because you went to Oxford. You made the conscious decision to train at Oxford because you believed it would get you into somewhere like XL. You trained, like me, when recruitment was bouyant and Oxford were displaying hard evidence that their training route worked. Inexperienced cadets were going straight to the rhs of a jet or heavy prop. Sure you paid a premium, but you gave yourself a better chance of being a 'first officer direct.' The odds were stacked in your favour. You would likely bypass the more traditional route. This is the card that Oxford were playing when I was selected in mid to late 2005. I didn't end up going, but that's irrelavent. My point has been made.

Since then the aviation industry has evolved a tad. As have the likes of Oxford. The XL, TCX, BA and NetJets alliances are confined to the history books for the foreseeable future. Since 2005 Oxford have purchased both GECAT and Parc and offer a direct path from CPL/IR/MCC/JOC to SSTR. They are actively promoting this 'train now be best placed for the future' bollox. They also like to indirectly associate themselves as a leading supplier of cadets to.... GUESS WHO? I am pretty sure, just like in 2005, that they completely bypass talking about a traditional self improvement route. It's unfortunately as dead as the dodo.

You see what I am getting at here. Large, well renouned schools like Oxford will touch the vast majority of potential trainees (whether they actually go there or not is a different matter) and in turn set the expectation level of what the industry requires and has to offer. It happened to you, it happened to me and it will happen to just about anyone who chooses to listen.

Things have turned for the worst in the last year and a half. You have lost a job, and despite disliking the tone of some of your posts, I am truely sorry for that. You have a right to feel raw, however by lambasting certain individuals as
a silly medaling little short termist comes and does something to artificially alter it for 'their' time.
you are bringing attention to yourself. Because there are a sh1t load of people out there who believe that the route that you took did exactly the same thing!

Deep down, when it comes down to it you have decided to attack a scheme and a category of individuals that reside within that scheme as being the font of all evil. I had to delve into past threads, however here it is..

must add to my post, the Ryanair pilots I don't like are the 18-22 year olds who have done a tin pot degree/no degree, done a full integrated course and then the TR with Ryanair. Those are the 'pilots' I speak of.
Add to that, the bank of 'Mummy & Daddy' and 'hell hath no fury'

Someone added something like 'Dont hate the player, hate the game' and it was dismissed as being an off the cuff remark. I believe there is a certain element of truth to that. The whole concept of waiting around and not selling yourself short isn't seen at the moment and no one can actually forsee when it will apply either. As a result it's knocking the chances of others in finding employment. There's the real problem here, and as I said before, it's crap. It's washing through the industry from the top down.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 7th Dec 2009 at 12:08.