PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muscat Muscateers
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2009, 07:46
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What zkpjm said.

The only unit that Muscat deals with where we can hand off using radar separation is the UAE. EVERY other unit requires procedural separations i.e. Tehran, Karachi, Mumbai, Sanaa and Bahrain. The UAE, being our biggest customer, by dint of being able to throw as many aircraft as they wanted into that maelstrom, meant that we daily exceeded any reasonable levels of traffic for all our sectors. We have ample, statistical evidence of that. Even with the "flow control", we are often in fairly dire straits trying to provide reasonable levels to eastbound aircraft because of the sheer volume of aircraft that hit us, particularly from late evening to early morning.

Add to that the ramp-up of military traffic, who mostly just "pop up",, that has increased to service the Afghanistan conflict and you have a very difficult time every day.

I do have a lot of sympathy for having to merge TARDI and LABRI traffic using the procedures as given. I would hope that they would be simplified so that it doesn't mean that TARDI departures incur the types of delay as indicated. I was surprised to hear that one hour figure.

We don't appear to have a dedicated think-tank here to get to grips with an expeditious solution. I would think that until the airlines force the issue, we are in for a long wait.

On another note, still no sign of any newbies. People leaving, but no replacements as yet.