PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 6th Dec 2009, 17:07
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you spanner for your input

I am not naive enough to believe that people such as TheBeak don't have a point. It's how they choose to present that point is what goads me. It's one of the easiest things in the world to form an agenda, make a few generalisations to fit with that agenda and then point the finger. It is even easier to do this when you believe that you sh1t smells sweeter than everyone elses, when many may infact believe that it doesn't.

Two things that we agree on

1. The traditional self-improver route no longer holds any real substance. I have said this before and I believe it to be very sad. The quality and standards of professional pilots will drop as a result.

FTOs have latched on to the fact that this route is no longer viable and acitvely hammer home alliances with airlines, TRTOs etc. Look at any integrated school and even beyond for examples. Airlines have fully grasped this pattern and are aware of what they can get away with. SSTRs, part-time contracts, cadet salaries, pay-to-fly schemes, ridiculous bonds etc.

2. T&Cs have taken a nose dive and yes indeed, the likes of Ryanair need to take the blame. The problem is that from day one you enter the debate of 'will I, won't I.' Will I go integrated, will I pay for a type rating, will I pay for line hours? In an era where an expectation of rapid transit through the training system to the RHS is set in stone, there is very little done or to show for the 'won't I' arguement. I'm not saying that this should be the case, however it is the case. Doing things the traditional way is no longer viable so it no longer features.

Thridly, with my point on basic economics. You will always find someone who will do something for less. I have seen some of the most moralistic, self-righteous people behave this way. The airline industry is no different. It was ruined years ago, long before the sniffy nosed 19-22 year old Ryanair cadet ,that TheBeak likes to preach his 'hallelujah's' to, grew out of short pants!

This industry doesn't owe anyone anything. That's the cold hard fact of it now - like it or not. Something which sadly was once a job for life, with massive salaries, massive benefits and massive subsidies has now fallen by the wayside. It's one hell of a mess, but no one collectively, from the ground upwards, has done anything to stop it. And no one ever will. Sure you can point the finger and say its all 'such and such' at fault. We can all do that, it achieves nothing

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 6th Dec 2009 at 17:25.