PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud Seeding Cessna 310 Moorabbin 1980's
Old 6th Dec 2009, 12:15

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
BSB

MB was a strange dark and foreboding place where we learnt to control a Frasca before getting into a Baron. I did not have anything to do with CFA as I believe it was away cloud seeding. I was VFR S/E Commercial Pilot, flying a Baron and cloud seeding was way out of my league.

CFJ was used for Civil's instrument training. Had this all singing all dancing HSI After flying C150, C182 and C205s, this was the bees knees.

One memorable incident happened one cold night at CFS. There was a line of Musketeers? on the apron. A pilot was going to do some night circuits and was checking the fuel by dipping his hand into the fuel tank to feel the fuel.

As the night was cold and humid, the fuel did not evaporate so he did not feel the coolness on his hand as the fuel evaporated. He then lit a match to visually check the fuel

Of course the fuel on his hand caught fire and he shook it to put it out only to ignite the fuel in the tank. No explosion, just this 3" round column of flame about 8" high. All he had to do was put the cap back on.

There was pandemonium in the office. The tower was notified to sent the fire service.

The hangar doors were closed. To get the extinguishers one had to run to the back of the office, into the hangar, run to the front of the hangar where the extinguishers were kept and repeat the reverse journey.

The rest is history. No planes were damaged, but lessons were learnt.