PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS imposter rumbled
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2009, 08:41
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Having seen plenty of disparaging remarks about medals worn by both Prince Charles and Prince Phillip on here, JB and comments pages elsewhere I thought I may say a little about medals worn by the Royal Family.

Firstly pilots' wings. Well I am not a pilot, so I cannot comment on the skills of the aforesaid, but both won their wings after passing training courses current at the time. Neither may have been hotshot pilots, but then neither were some of the guys I had the dubious pleasure of flying behind over the years - thankfully usually in the right hand seat.

Neither Prince Charles nor Prince Phillip wears one medal to which he is not entitled. In the case of the former these are a mixture of non-military orders, coronation and jubilee medals of the type one might expect to be bestowed on the heir to the throne. He does not wear a DSO, tutamen, nor any gallantry or campaign medals. His father on the other hand has a very impressive collection of WW2 stars, all awarded for service as a junior Naval officer before he even met his future wife. He is unusual in being entitled to wear 5 campaign stars, the maximum possible, a feat achieved by very few in any of the services. So knock the royals as much as you like, that's what democracy is all about, but get your facts straight before you do.