PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize passengers - neighbours rights?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2009, 05:14
AlbertaGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering what is thought of this idea:
What if people people purchased a ticket based on weight including baggage allowed? IE person and bag stand on a scale and if they are over "average" they pay more?

I'm a smaller person and am limited to bags with a certain weight. Given I'm at least 50 lbs less than the average - why am I charged extra when one bag is 5 lbs over?

The other point for this idea is that perhaps if people paid by weight, then it would be possible for airlines to make the seating more comfortable for all passengers.

Just an idea since I hate having to check two bags because one might be a few pounds over and now I'll get charged. I do understand that the weight restriction is also for the baggage handlers, but jeez.... when I see people who weigh twice what I do check two bags just under the limit and I have one bag 5 pounds over and get charged I have to wonder. It has to be cheaper to fly a light person with no bags to their destination as opposed to an obese person with checked baggage.

The other thing I want to say is that it's not always larger size pax that spill into neighbouring seats. I've had a few occasions where someone decides to read the paper spread out or will spread their feet into my space because they won't put their stuff in the overhead.