PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - should i buy the manuals now?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 10:13
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
my thoughts

There is a good chance that they will be revised in the 2 years between now and when you start the course. It won't be too much but you never know with JAR....

Personally I wouldn't bother. If I were you and had the time on my hands I'd become friendly with the local engineering workshop/hangar and get to know the aircraft well. It doesn't matter if it is "only" small piston aircraft you get to know. There are exam questions on pistons and superchargers. This is a very good way to understand the various systems in an aircraft. You'll get to see how the controls are rigged, the instruments and how they are fitted (and the inputs!!) and how the various bits and pieces are fitted to the engine. In 2 years you'll learn a lot. Not only will this give you a very good grounding for the "techs" it will certainly help you when you are learning to fly.
Think about this, if an interviewer asks "what have you done so far in aviation?" and you have about 200 hours. What will sound better, "oh I read Jep manuals" or "I spent as much time as I could in the local hangar learning about aircraft"
If for some reason you decide to fly in Africa etc, you'll have a much better chance of surviving because you'll know your aircraft well.
Other things to do. Start watching the weather (6 o'clock news) and noting what is going on around the world climate wise. This will help you to figure out climatology. Note what the ITCZ is doing.
Get yourself to aviation museums. Seek out the ones with cut away turbine engines. A "real" one makes a lot more sense than some pictures in a book.
My ideas are to make the next 2 years of learning fun. Wading through text books aimed at the JAR exams isn't always fun.

Have fun.