PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prop RPM during the approach.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 16:45
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have made it very clear that I have not instructed at the flight training school level for decades and will freely admit that I am out of touch with the teaching methods that have evolved since I let my rating lapse.

However I have witnessed the abysmal level of skills and understanding of how to operate aircraft that are to be found coming out of these training facilities.

I have no desire to get into no win arguments with anyone here on the Pprune instructors forum Big Pistons Forever as that is part of the reason I no longer post in the Canadian forum.

It has been so long since I held a Canadian instructors rating that my Flight Instructor Guide has the learning factors referred to as " The laws of learning ". In the laws of learning there is a one called " The law of Primacy " ( Teach it right the first time. )

I do not buy into the dumb it down to make it easier for the student to learn a given exercise mindset, so they can get a licence and be able to then get enough experience to learn to do it a different way that will work better.

My personal opinion is to teach them how to operate an airplane in the safest and most efficient way that I personally have found works best that is within the operating limitations of the pilot operating handbook for the airplane being flown right from the start of their training for any exercise.

Sorry but teaching pilots to increase propeller RPM some minutes before landing is not something I agree with nor teach as I take the position that going down hill requires a reduction in power and increasing RPM is an action that that can be performed safely when and if needed.

So lets leave it at that BPF because I have no intention of dragging our differences over to this forum from the Canadian one.