PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about planned Alternates and the use of them when airborne
Old 5th Dec 2009, 16:24
Long Haul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My take on this is that in-flight re-planning only occurs if you choose to fly a different route to get to your original destination or you fly to a new destination not originally planned for the flight at t/o. There does not seem to be any comments or references to alternates.

Good point, I think that you're probably right about that.

- Is there any pilot whıch always checks his alternates during flight(enroute) and when he learns alternate weather is below cat I he try to fınd another alternate. I think when he learns that he should say, I am Cat II first officer Cat II so no problem to continue. Ofcourse he can change hıs alternate ıf he wants. Question is " Is it mandatory to change or not?"

Don't forget that OPS 1.340(b) says that, in order to continue, either your destination or your alternate need to be above planning minimums, not both. So, as long as you can still land at your destination, it doesn't matter what's happening at the alternate. Unless in-flight replanning has occurred, which then brings paragraph a(2) into play.

Very interesting subject indeed, it seems like the only thing that you can say with any certainty is, land with enough fuel so you don't have to explain your actions later!