PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather conditions at arrival airport
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 14:04
keltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly to the UK quite often and I do find differences in the way for instance, Spanish pilots give information to their passengers. While on British airlines, language tend to be "politicaly correct", in Spanish language, people tend to use a more direct and confrontational, and blunt.

I know itīs a stereotype, but generally many ot them never say things like "restricted visibility" for "fog", and donīt mind using the word stormy weather. Last time I was on a plane was flying from NY, on Iberia, and while they are excelent professionals, they donīt really talk too much to their passengers, so it solves the problem of misinterpretation with the weather forecasts. This time, he talked and said something like "the weather in route wonīt be too bad"......which had a devious meaning. FInally the weather was fine.

I live in the northwest of Spain, and bad weather is usually present for the Atlantic low pressures coming in. So we usually expect bumpy landings, and only in very serious situations crew inform about the weather. They say itīs rainning, so we know what it means. I only suffered a lightning strike on landing in Venice. It was an Iberworld pilot who had previously told us about the formation of clouds around the airport. Most passengers didnīt understand that, but suspected it wasnīt anything good.

Last edited by keltic; 5th Dec 2009 at 14:20.