PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about planned Alternates and the use of them when airborne
Old 5th Dec 2009, 12:11
big d1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eltazar

Not a problem, this subject has been very interesting. This is just the way I have read it to make some sense so am more than happy to be corrected. The only reason I think you have to split it into en-route and over head is because all the references in EU-OPS only ever talk about "continue towards..." therefore implying you are 'en-route'.

As you say I bet the vast majority of short haul pilots that are hopping around Europe etc just get the wx and say "yes the wx at this alternate is CAT II, im CATII qualified, therefore alternate is OK" and continue towards their destination. Also with shorthaul flying by the time you get your wx anyway you not too far from your destination anyway. Especially with UK flying. Longhaul flights are different as I suspect you would be getting weather on a more regular basis and starting from a point further out so this does provide you more time to pick new alternates, as longhaul stated in an earlier post.

I believe by reading these quotes from EU-OPS it is mandatory to select new alternates. How many pilots are doing this? I suspect for shorthaul flights at least probably not many. Will this be picked up? Probably not until it all goes pear shaped and the pilots end up in court to explain themselves. I would bet then that some lawyer would find these quotes from EU-OPS.

Last edited by big d1; 5th Dec 2009 at 12:22.