PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZSPD Cargo Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 06:49
Kingpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee og Gee Wrote:

Is there any further info on the Fine Air DC-8 accident.
Yes there is, in the shape of a final report released in 1998, the year following the accident. I think what really caused the initial speculation and its subsequent longevity is that initial inspection of the wreckage revealed a number of pallet locks that were not in place, however the investigation eventually discounted this as a cause. Follow the earlier link to ASN, they have a link to the full report, it contains some useful lessons for any pilot.

In fact I personally can't think of a jet transport accident that has been caused by loadshift? Can anyone?

CargoOne wrote:
Every speculation here starts with "I don't want to speculate".
So, here is mine - this is copy&paste of MK @Halifax.
Agreed although the actual error made would probably be different since this was an FMC equipped aircraft, the result is certainly very similar. Also very similar to the Emirates accident earlier in the year, which demonstrates another potential error, ie in entry of assumed temp.

All this talk of the MD-11s safety record really has no place here, I believe this is the first hull loss to take place in the takeoff phase, so the MDs handling characteristics and accident record in approach and landing have absolutely no relevance.