PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class D Zones for Broome & Karratha
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 06:38
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ARFOR,

Over the last twenty years I've seen more and more discouragment for VFR aircraft to talk on centre frequencies, and as for that matter the CTAF as well. The AIP also reads in a manner that discourages responding with your details and intentions when when you hear conflicting traffic on a CTAF.

Over the last four years 99% of my flying has been in CTAF(R) or Class D airspace and find it very unerving when in ordinary G listening and generally saying nothing. I also find that sector retransmission deteriorates situational awareness (I don't know if this is still done to the same extent as it used to be), particularly where a lot of the comunications relate to aircraft at the other end of the state.

VFR often do not understand IFR tracking and position reports [particularly if an IFR non-runway aligned procedure is being flown]
Like it or lump it, communications need to be in a form that the least experienced can understand. This means that either IFR pilots need to use cardinal directions and distances in their broadcasts or VFR pilots need to be trained in instrument approach terminology.