View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 06:43
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts
Validity of Aged PPL

A curious question from a military aviator:

First the background.

Many years ago, during my basic training on Chipmunks, we had a scheme whereby (as I recall) we paid a small fee, maybe did an extra exam or two, and got a PPL valid for the DHC-1 Chipmunk. Which I duly did, and received a bright, shiny light brown and gold PPL. Which has never been used, as Auntie Betty has been extremely generous since then in letting me fly HM's military aircraft to the tune of 5000 hours or so.

Now as seniority/retirement/desk jobs beckon, although still fit and current as a (military) aviator, the stark realisation dawns that if I'm going to continue to "slip the surly bonds", I'm going to have to join you guys/gals and start paying for it!

The question is: is my Aged Virgin PPL worth anything, or am I starting back at square one as a wannabee? I have heard conflicting advice: some have said that the rules changed in (?) 1975 or so, and that licences issued BEFORE that date remain valid; others that only licences AFTER that date remain valid in perpetuity if not used. Others still have quoted a 25 year "rolling validity" for unused licences. So what is the real answer?

Ergo I venture away from the mil forum to this fount of all knowledge on private aviation! I realise the requirements for currency, checkrides, medicals etc, but is the licence itself (in the attic somewhere, but issued in 1969 or 70) valid as anything more than a souvenir of my taildragging days in a Chippy???