PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC: 'Hung out to dry by our own side'
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 20:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is far from certain that the IMCR is going to get killed off.

When the EU started going on about animal rights, they got the chief on TV and asked him about bullfighting in Spain... his reply, with a smile, was along the lines of: politics is the art of the possible

What I think people are most worried about is that the IMCR will get negotiated away, while the promised replacement will never come. The "more accessible IR" has a history longer than the 10 years I have been flying, with loads of failed promises, with proposals frustrated at each stage by very well practiced commercial / job protection / elitist interests, and plain inertia.

Maybe EASA has a better chance of doing something on this front but to date there is no evidence to support that belief - unless one assumes that since EASA is a bigger fatter kid than any previous ones, it has a better chance.

I also think that their aggressive stance to do with banning foreign licensed pilots flying in Europe if they are EU residents is going to hit the buffers; obviously I hope it does. This proposal was IMHO a piece of stupidity because there is no realistic fallback / face-saving climbdown position. They bet the whole shop on the USA climbing down and signing a reciprocal treaty with that pompous little hole called Europe. But because this is lumped in with all the other year-2012 stuff, the whole lot might get sunk together. And then if the IMCR is lost as well............. ?? The only accessible IFR option will be the FAA IR, which nowadays means a significant residence at an American motel