PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways check pilot pulls CB on finals
Old 4th Dec 2009, 20:38
akindofmagic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't belittle Graybeard in the post you mention, sabenaboy. I was raising a serious concern with his comments.

What I, and others such as Allocate_on_Arrival, objected to is the fact that some people seem to seek to excuse the actions of the check pilot in this case.

Comments such as

The pilot flying should have been sent back to recurrent to develop flying skills. The crybaby pilot reporting the incident should have been fired.
and

I don't fault the check pilot at all. He did that in benign conditions.
He may have overestimated the competence of the pilot, however.
are incredibly worrying, from two viewpoints. First, they suggest that there are people who are opposed to a free and open reporting system for incidents which, I would suggest, is a necessity in this industry, if we are to do anything but pay lip service to "safety first" cultures within airlines. Secondly, they seem to suggest that there are those who would willingly break SOPs for a reason unrelated to flight safety, and see no issue with senior captains doing, seemingly to tick off a training item.

Neither of these attitudes, in my opinion, have any place in an aviation (or indeed any safety critical) environment. I, and I would venture a majority of pilots, would find very little "valid" in Graybeard's comments.

I stand by all of my comments in this thread.