PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charles Lindbergh: Neil Armstrong:
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 03:41
Matt Black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a fascinating thread! I don't normally venture into this forum, sticking to the flight test forum where I fit in quite nicely low down in the food chain.

The topic seems to have drifted off a bit, so may I add my two cents?

Looking at both Lindbergh's and Armstrong's acheivements it is perhaps worth remembering that those present at the Quiet Birdmen's dinner were dining shortly after the first moon-landing. As has been previously mentioned, many of those in the room grew up with Charles Lindburgh as their boyhood hero, whereas Armstrong was the new kid on the block. At the time of Apollo 11, American was emroilled in a bitter conflict in SE Asia, there was social unrest within the US and the concept of the anti-hero had been established. For these reasons, my view is that the impact that Apollo 11 had was lessened as it took place in a more cynical time. Let us remember that Lindbergh was probably the first "Global Celebrity". For these reasons, I believe he received the greater applause, as he was already an historic figure in the aviation world.

In terms of guts, daring, call it what you will, any pilot who is willing to climb into a craft, not knowing if they will see their loved ones again, is deserving of respect, no matter what their motives, political allegiances, race, gender, shoe size or what have you.

Yes Armstrong's achievement was the culmination of a national effort ( as opposed to Lindbergh's smaller project ), but from a professional technical perspective, Armstrong was more experienced, highly trained and skilled in the science of aviation, and had flown real-life combat missions in fighters from carriers, in an age when jets were still un-reliable. He flew rocket powered aircraft ( one of only two astronauts to do so ) and holds a first degree and masters in aeronautical fields.

I think in centuries to come, when history allows us to properly place events in their correct context, Armstong's name may well be the name which all qoute in respect of the last century, in much the same way as we remember Christopher Columbus.

SW, I hope he is your uncle, give him a pat on the back from the boys at Boscombe Down and Farnborough, he's welcome on my aircraft any time.