PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 18:37
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again Edmund:
Do you remember if Auld saw that fourth plane? According to your words, I think Plata return was made in a southern paralel course to Raton ingress. It would explain that your turn to the right pursuiting Díaz which put you heading south, would face you to Plata´s scape route (90º).
It seems that either Musso nor Callejo, scaped in a similar route. As Díaz saw from ground a Dagger flying home low over him, it would seem it to be the second one, as the first would have passed during his ejection.
Oro ingress route was just north of Pebble island (what explain why Puga fell on sea and Castillo over Horsehoe bay, while Díaz, who made a hard turn to his right trying to avoid your attack, fell southern on the island). At least, the second Dagger had overflown the south of Pebble (to be seen by Díaz) and the first one probably too, as was seen by you over there.
The only explanation for that Dagger to not see the explosion of Díaz plane when hit would be that the pilot was not looking right (in my previous post I thought he was flying northern). The crash had not happened so he couldn´t see it.
I´m just remembering that Callejo told in his testimony in Carballo´s book that he was just entering the bay when listened Mj Puga to shout he had been hit. If Callejo was number 3 in his flight and was entering the bay over Fanning Head, I see more probable that the only Plata capable of being over Pebble when Díaz is downed, must be Musso or Dellepiane. I put the complete testimony of the attack:

-¿Cómo fue el ataque?
(How the attack was?)
Nosotros pasamos bien, me queda la impresión que los Harriers se dedicaron a atacar a los otros tres aviones nuestros. Yo tenía un blanco sobre el puerto, y la flota estaba en la bahía. Apenas aparecimos, nos empezaron a tirar con todo: cañones, misiles, armas portátiles desde tierra… Un infierno.
We passed well, I feel that Harriers concentrated in attacking the other three plane of us (Oro). I had a target over the harbour (Port San carlos), and the fleet was in the bay. We had hardly appeared when they started to fire at us with everything: Guns, missiles, portable weapons from land,... The hell.

Yo vi el puerto, algunas de las cosas que ya habían desembarcado y nada más. Íbamos a 550 nudos. En un momento determinado, Dellepiane (que venía al lado mío) me muestra la panza de su avión, como si estuviera por hacer un viraje. En ese momento veo una cosa blanca que nos pasó por el medio, y era un misil que lanzaron desde tierra. Yo avanzo a mi objetivo, tiro las bombas sobre el puerto (dos bombas de 250 kilos cada una) y trato de salir.
I saw the harbour, some disembarked
material and nothing more. I flew at 550 knots. In a determinated moment, Dellepiane (who came side to side), show me his belly, as if he would be to make a turn. in that moment I saw a white thing just passing betwen both of us, it was a missile launched from land. i advanced towards my target, dropped my bombs over the harbour (two 250 Kg each one) and tried to scape.

So, perhaps they went out before than Callejo made, didn´t they? In that case perhaps they passed over Pebble island before than Callejo. It´s a pity not to know about Dellepiane.
Regards

Last edited by jualbo; 4th Dec 2009 at 18:52.