PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mach Number
Thread: Mach Number
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 14:51
Pugilistic Animus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I seemed to have not stated in a clear manner and after careful reading of Old Smokey I'm led clarify what I meant,...I did not want to imply that temperature is used for mach measurement etc....so, in order to redeem myself I'm forced into a long post,..but first as a lamentation I'll briefly show mathematically why T will never appear then I must [unfortunately for me expound on some high speed aerodyanamics,...

1.proof of independence of Mach on T
since Mn = TAS/c [c = lss]

and TAS = eas *[d2/d1] [density ratio]--- no rho to keep down visual clutter
and lss =c0[T2/T1]

I can say thatM = Eas* [d2/d1] /c0*[t2/t1],...expressing TAS in terms of EAS and T ,..one obtains EAS *[p2*d1*T1/p1d2*T2]^.5/c0 [T2/T1],...it is thereby shown that T WILL cancel

ok...what about if I write c in terms of density, since density is a function T you end up as M= EAS[d2/d1]^.5/c0[p2*d1/p1*d2]^.5 again all like terms dependent on T disappear d1 an d2 cancel here...So wrt to this I've said my lamentations,...In the next post I will clarify what I meant to emphasize but apparently expressed badly,...in my defense I was thinking about work on supersonic flows,...but the actual text [engineering supersonic aerodynamics] is packed away like most of my books,...so I I tried with other physics and aerodyanic proofs to remember the basic jist of the arguments concerning supersonic flows and as a result of over simplication I wrongly and accidentally implied that M is a function of T

I'll try to get the next post right; this subject for me is a very tough topic...

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 4th Dec 2009 at 16:33.