PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 11:01
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Edmund:
I also really would like to talk to Callejo and think we can get it. I´ll try to put an advertisment in Zona Militar Falklands foro.
But I have some doubts. Just yesterday I found a testimony of this mission from 1st Lt Musso. One of Callejo´s fellows in Plata flight. And although I thought he had returned by other way together Cap Dellepiane I´m not actually sure about it:
http://www.informeaeronautico.com/DE...6/Default.aspx

In spanish (it´s a kind of interview):

- Una vez tiradas las bombas, había que volver a la base…
(once bombs were dropped, then you have to return to base.....)

Llegué a ver a varios infantes con misiles antiaéreos portátiles, y pensé: ‘Acá me pegan’. Empecé a hacer virajes para un lado y para el otro, convencido que me iban derribar.
(I could see some infantry men armed with MANPADS and thought "Here I´m going to be hit" " I started a serie of turnings from side to side, convinced to be downed)
Después de un momento de estar yendo para todos lados, miro el rumbo y me doy cuenta que estaba orientado hacia el Este, para Africa. Me calmé un poco, puse rumbo al continente y empecé a volar rasante.
(After a moment of being turning to everywhere, I looked my course and realized to be heading to the east,towards Africa. I kept calm a little, headed to the mainland and started a skirmishing flight profile)
Pasé al lado de dos fragatas que le dispararon a mi compañero, Callejo. Pasado ese momento, pude ascender y llegué a San Julián tranquilo. Al rato llegaron los otros dos aviones. Una vez en tierra vi que mi avión tenía toda clase de impactos de proyectiles.
(I passed by two frigates that had shot my fellow Callejo. After this moment, I could go up and arrived San Julian in calm. Shortly afterwards the other two planes landed. once in land I saw my plane had numerous hits of bullets)

So it seems that Musso also returned alone and by a northern route as he saw the two frigates (In fact Broadsword+Coventry). If he returned home before Callejo, and by a similar route, may be he´s our man!!!!!
It´s puzzling. I also would like to hear from Dellepiane.
Cossmicommet (who also writes in Zona militar forums) knows Musso (now a civilian pilot) but it seems he doesn´t talk a lot about Falklands.

About Callejo´s testimony I would say that he didn´t saw anything over Pebble island. He was probably looking to his right hand (as it was the place where the frigates had fired at him) and all action you lived was just on his left side.
Captain Díaz describes that just after being downed and lying in land he saw a Dagger overflying him. So if he had landed, the crash had happened moments before when the fourth Dagger had not still overflown the zone what would explain not to see the explosions of your Sidewinder hitting and the subsequent crash.
Callejo was flying supersonically after being attacked by a SAM from the two frigates. One bomb from his plane didn´t drop during the attack and think (not sure) that one of his external fuel tanks had also problems to be jettisoned. He says that just over Jason islands he noted to be flying supersonically.
By the way, Callejo says that planes in his flight had fired his guns during the attack so theywere probably empty when crossed you.

I hope this info to be useful.

Regards

Last edited by jualbo; 4th Dec 2009 at 11:51.