PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy worse than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 08:22
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is indeed the case and will no doubt serve to concentrate the minds of people at Hangar 89. Coincidentally, I was at Luton yesterday and there is clearly a desire at the highest level to lay down the confrontational tactics of the past. I do not know the fine detail of the German contract offer but according to one of their Trianing Captains it gives him personally a 30% pay cut and introduces a payscale for new captains that is less than the current pay for First Officers! As I say, I cannot comment on the specifics because I do not know them, but if that is the case then clearly it is unacceptable. Nonetheless, sooner or later we must all talk. It is vital for the whole network to support the German crews in a legitimate dispute, but equally the days of the massive salaries in Berlin are grinding to a halt. By 'massive salaries' I mean the enviable but completely non-sustainable tax arrangements of the past whereby you paid tax nowhere! As I have said on numerous occasions, we have to choose our battles and this may be one of the battles of choice once we know the details. Listening to a couple of very senior managers yesterday I remain of the view that there is a genuine desire to re-engage with us and a real desire to sort out the difficulties. Are they all cuddly and nice to furry animals? Probably not. Neither are they cut-throat scum trying to murder our wives and abduct our children. In the final analysis they are the people with whom we must deal and this is the time to engage with them. I have no doubt that the number one issue on the minds of senior managers at easyJet this morning is how to deal with this Berlin dispute and how to prevent escalation. We too should be having exactly the same thoughts.