PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Art Work In The Mess
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 07:20
Diablo Rouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason that I was able to see the RAFM display was because they had it out as a specific exhibition on the first floor at Hendon. They do not display it all the time, I am told is due to a) Tealeaves that would have work away versus b) the staffing required to monitor (protect) the collection during opening hours.

My opinion is that the thousands of Galleries around the world cope with the same problems, yet keep the doors open with what appears to be the minimum of human security backed up by electronic surveliance. If the Mona Lisa can be on display I am quite sure that the RAFM Collection could be. It would also add an extra dimension to a RAFM visit.

That said, the last 2 visits that I have made (in about the last 5 years) have both seen aircraft collections (WW1 hangar 'Grahame-White Factory' both times & BofB hangar once) closed to the public. The reason given for having the Graham-White factory closed on both occasions was staffing. Have to say that a visit involves considerable expense & travelling time, and I find that same answer a bit weak if I am honest.

The GAvA have an art display in 1 hangar at RAFM Cosford which changes on occasion. Ronald Wongs work is awesome but balanced by some average to say the least works by others. In the north of england there is the Manchester Aviation Art Group and in the south the Solent Aviation Artists both of whome may be able to provide works of suitable standard and subject for loan to Messes.