PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC: 'Hung out to dry by our own side'
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 21:55
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now how many people in the European regulatory system thinks that it is a good idea for a pilot with as little as 12 hours sole reference to instrument time to depart Edinburgh in a twin (having only doen the 12 hours training in a single) climb into the teeth of the Edinburgh and Glasgow arrivals to say FL160 and then route down the P600 to take up the hold at MAGEE - a procedure they have never been checked as being able to do and hold for 20 minutes because the weather at EGAC is below minima and then route back up the P600 to Glasgow.
OK I thought this might be in Scotland

But let's look at this
climb into the teeth of the Edinburgh and Glasgow arrivals
Why is this a problem? The arrivals don't have "teeth". This traffic is all under radar control.

Also there is no way anybody is going to be competent in 12 hours. The average IMCR time is over 20. Mine was about 25.

to say FL160
That implies oxygen, or pressurisation, so we are looking at a more than average dedicated pilot. Not your PA28-140 type.

a procedure they have never been checked as being able to do and hold for 20 minutes
I was taught to fly holds in the IMCR, and if you accept a well equipped aircraft type (as implied by the above mission profile) I don't see a problem.

You are assuming a mix of absolutely minimal experience, maximum mission complexity, worst case weather, most complex aircraft, flying into probably very expensive places. You just don't find this combination in the same place.

You could equally argue that a C150 could fly into Gatwick - which it absolutely can do, both VFR or IFR. That is a lot busier than anything in Scotland. So why don't they? Because it costs £500 to land there, and it would be too much bother even if it was free.