PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professional Pilots and Professional Indemnity Insurance
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 21:44
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlyingOfficerKite

Thank you for your post. Just for the record I'm not trying to impose anything on anyone.

What I seek to do is to try to find something that is of value to professional pilots on a purely voluntary basis. Much in the same way as I choose to buy cover against loss of licence. Expensive maybe, but it is my choice.

Your opinion is of both great interest and value. If I may I would ask you to expand on your thoughts.

I am concerned that a professional pilot may fall between the cracks of being an 'employee' and a 'principle in private practice'.

I say that because a pilot exercises the privileges of his/her own licence and while the operator clearly has raft of responsibilities, the crew also have a raft their own responsibilities.

While I understand that PII insurance is not normally required to be taken out by employees of companies, as this requirement is covered by the vicarious liability of their employers, what happens when in the execution of those responsibilities the two parties are at odds?

Will my employer, or their insurers, offer me a defence if the employer feels a issue was in no way their responsibility, or worse if it wants to cover up deficiencies or failings? I doubt it.

Now if BALPA feel it is not for them, what next?

Where does that leave me and my livelihood?

I guess that the crux of my concern, is to find a solution which offers me support to overcome problems whatever the circumstances. No “reasonable prospect of a successful outcome” caveat, just the offer off a solicitor/barrister if and when I need one.

The value of support might be capped at £x if it concerns common law or £y if criminal. Whatever. Just support for a defence. Simple. O.K. I'm sure there will be some exclusions.

Now that may be expensive or the cost may be reasonable – that is up to the underwriters to work out.

But, from a layman's point of view, isn't it worth a look?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

RW&B