PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC: 'Hung out to dry by our own side'
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 21:34
Sick Squid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only known personally three people who have died in light aircraft as recreational flyers since I started flying as a PPL in 1987. Each one of them was an IMC holder, in weather that they should never have been flying in, plus in one case, in an aircraft where the equipment let them down. Regardless, the one common factor is that without the rating they would have been on the ground.

The justification given above of using a rating to fly into what are basically icing conditions in a single-engine aircraft, shooting an ILS at the end to have coffee with friends is quite frankly ludicrous. As, to an extent, is the argument of using the rating as a get-out-of jail card if the weather deteriorates whilst in flight.

Perhaps the answer is a simple one, albeit in two parts. First part; raise the bar of the basic PPL to provide enhanced instrument flying skills to enable safe exit from IMC conditions, and re-test such skills annually. Second; a realisation that if you are not being paid to make the flight, which by definition you are not under the privileges of the PPL (and neither will it be for any defined business purpose of course,) then you have no right to place yourself or more importantly your passengers in any enhanced jeopardy.

Regardless of the fine-print differences between nations and tail-numbers, any rating that allows someone not fully trained to fly in instrument conditions in an aircraft not fully equipped for such is something that should be anathema. A basic skill-set to save your ass is fine, but allowing planning in such marginal weather for what is basically recreational flying is something that cannot withstand scrutiny.

Perhaps bringing the full IR within more peoples grasp would be a better goal? I am somewhat out of the Private Flying loop these days, but I still feel I would know 3 people still alive and enjoying their flying and their families today had their confidence not been artificially boosted above their competence.

Sorry if that sounds a bit arrogant coming from an airline pilot; it's not, it's a hard-earned viewpoint. Also, one I have espoused for many years now.

Squid